Here are your 1-a-Day Literacy Activities.
This week our litercy is based around following, giving and writing instructions.
1. Monday - Hand Washing #1
It is always important to make sure that you wash your hands properly. At the moment this is especially important. Watch this NHS video about hand washing. Follow the instructions and practice washing your own hands. Have someone take photos or a video of you. Talk about what you are doing. Upload your photos or videos to your Seesaw Journal or email them to me.
2. Tuesday - Hand washing #2
Now you have practised washing your hands and talking about the instructions, see if you can sequence these picture instructions. Print or draw your own versions of the pictures below and sequence them so that they are in the right order. Record yourself saying the instructions by 'reading' the pictures. Upload a photo of your pictures and a video of yourself aying the instructions to your Seesaw Journal or email them to me.
3. Wednesday - Making Toast
Before you complete the following activity, it would be beneficial for you to make a slice of buttered toast with your child, talking about the steps you are taking as you go along.
Look at the following 6 pictures and talk about each one. Discuss what order they should come in. Print the pictures, or draw your own versions on paper. Have your child order them by sriting the corect number underneath. Once they have done it record them giving the instructions verbally.
4. Thursday - Making a Jam Sandwich #1
Before you complete the following activity, it would be beneficial, for you to make a jam sandwich with your child, talking about the steps you are taking as you go along.
Look at the following 6 pictures and talk about each one. Discuss what order they should come in. Print out the pictures, or draw your own versions on paper. Have your child cut them out and put them in the right order. Record them giving the instructions verbally. Upload a photo of the sequenced pictures and a video of the verbal instructions to your Seesaw Journal or email them to me.
5. Friday - Jam Sandwich #2 Writing Instructions
Use the practical and sequencing activity you did yesterday to help you recall how to make a jam sandwich. Talk about what you did - parents, use this opportunity to help your child to verbally create a set of short sentences.
Write a set of sentences to create written instructions to make a jam sandwich. For each sentence, go through the following process:
1. Have them repeat the sentence over and over - you join in too.
2. 'Clap' the sentence - do 1 clap for each word. (repeat with different actions - e.g. tap, click, chop etc - they will be familiar with this as we do it in class)
3. Ask them to write the sentence (preferably on paper with pen or pencil) - let them write on their own, DO NOT write for them to copy, it will not help their writing development. Depending on their level, they will either make marks/write random letters (emergent writing), attempt to write the first sounds of each word (if they don't know the letter they are trying to write then show them) or they will attempt to build each word in the sentence (even if only a beginning, middle and end sound).
Please watch the videos I posted on the class web page in the Family Support section on supporting your child at home with emergent writing before completing this activity with your child...it will help you.
Take a photo of their written instructions and upload to your Seesaw Journal, or email them to me.